Measuring Our Impact
Since its inception in 2001, the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation has reached more than one million young people in communities across all 50 states and beyond. This includes the over 500,000 kids to date who have access to one of our 96 completed Youth Development Parks.
Along with our partners and corporate sponsors, we achieve impressive results and touch more young lives every year.
2019 Impact Results:
- 1,513,465 kids served in 48 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, France, and South Africa.
- 734 youth partners and law enforcement agencies engaged in 874 cities/towns
- 4,249 coaches, mentors, and law enforcement volunteers in Foundation programs
- 544 at-risk youth participating in the college experience at nine universities
- 347 at-risk youth from 22 states attending week-long overnight camps
- 28,626 kids participating in 104 one-day camps conducted across the country, in 23 states and Washington, D.C.
In a 2016-2018 study, University of Michigan researchers found that youth at 14 Badges for Baseball program sites are highly likely to experience positive youth development because of their participation.
Researchers compared 274 Badges for Baseball participants with 211 participants in other exemplary after-school youth enrichment programs. The key results revealed significant improvement among Badges participants for 14 measured outcomes:
- Empathy skills
- Social competence
- Conflict resolution skills
- Peer support
- Academic competence
- Personal values
- Community engagement
- Leadership ability
- Perceptions of substance use risk
- Aggressive behavior
- School disciplinary actions
- Positive Beliefs about Police
- Life Satisfaction
Notably, Badges for Baseball participants improved at a significantly faster rate than their counterparts on reports of personal values, including personal commitments to be ethical, honest, hard-working, and responsible.
We remain committed to evaluating our efforts, making refinements, and sharing what works with the youth development community.
Building Stronger Communities Together
More than 15,000 people in nine cities benefited from the Team8Tour, in partnership with UnitedHealthcare and Do Good.Live Well.
Among many notable achievements, our volunteer teams:
- Supported 10 high schools/community organizations.
- Built or renovated 22,000+ square feet of fitness, outdoor, and nutrition spaces.
- 1,300 meals and take-home kits
- Impacted over 15,000 students, families, volunteers, teachers, and coaches.