Measuring Our Impact
Since its inception in 2001, the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation has reached more than 1.2 million young people in communities across all 50 states and beyond. This includes the over 450,000 kids to date who have access to one of our 106 completed Youth Development Parks.
Along with our partners and corporate sponsors, we achieve impressive results and touch more young lives every year.
2021 Impact Results:
- Over 1.2 million kids served in 46 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, and Colombia.
- 589 youth partners and law enforcement agencies engaged in 383 cities/towns
- 590,075 youth reached by Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation Online Portal
- 3,132 kids impacted in 12 states and Washington, D.C. through the in-person and virtual models of the
Badges for Baseball program
- 4,884 coaches, law enforcement officers, teachers, volunteers, and other mentors
- 1,094 kids and 96 mentors participated in Virtual Fitness program in 12 states.
- 149 fully operational mobile STEM Centers in 16 states impacting 46,000 youth with the help of 484 youth mentors and teachers
In a 2016-2018 study, University of Michigan researchers found that youth at 14 Badges for Baseball program sites are highly likely to experience positive youth development because of their participation.
Researchers compared 274 Badges for Baseball participants with 211 participants in other exemplary after-school youth enrichment programs. The key results revealed significant improvement among Badges participants for 14 measured outcomes:
- Empathy skills
- Social competence
- Conflict resolution skills
- Peer support
- Academic competence
- Personal values
- Community engagement
- Leadership ability
- Perceptions of substance use risk
- Aggressive behavior
- School disciplinary actions
- Positive Beliefs about Police
- Life Satisfaction
Notably, Badges for Baseball participants improved at a significantly faster rate than their counterparts on reports of personal values, including personal commitments to be ethical, honest, hard-working, and responsible.
We remain committed to evaluating our efforts, making refinements, and sharing what works with the youth development community.
Building Stronger Communities Together
More than 15,000 people in nine cities benefited from the Team8Tour, in partnership with UnitedHealthcare and Do Good.Live Well.
Among many notable achievements, our volunteer teams:
- Supported 10 high schools/community organizations.
- Built or renovated 22,000+ square feet of fitness, outdoor, and nutrition spaces.
- 1,300 meals and take-home kits
- Impacted over 15,000 students, families, volunteers, teachers, and coaches.