Measuring Our Impact
Since its inception in 2001, the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation has reached more than one million young people in communities across all 50 states and beyond. This includes the over 500,000 kids to date who have access to one of our 82 Youth Development Parks.
Along with our partners and corporate sponsors, we achieve impressive results and touch more young lives every year.
2018 Impact Results:
- 1,505,900 kids served in 46 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
- 561 youth partners and law enforcement agencies engaged in 725 cities/towns
- 6,622 coaches, mentors, and law enforcement volunteers in Foundation programs
- 770 at-risk youth participating in the college experience at nine universities
- 493 at-risk youth from 22 states attending weeklong overnight camps
- 23,066 kids participating in 94 one-day camps conducted across the country in 20 states, Washington, D.C., Kenya, and Czech Republic
In a 2016 study, University of Michigan researchers found that youth at 14 Badges for Baseball program sites are highly likely to experience positive youth development because of their participation.
Researchers compared 274 Badges for Baseball participants with 211 participants in other exemplary afterschool youth enrichment programs. The key results revealed significant improvement among Badges participants for 12 measured outcomes:
- Empathy skills
- Social competence
- Conflict resolution skills
- Peer support
- Academic competence
- Personal values
- Community engagement
- Leadership ability
- Perceptions of substance use risk
- Aggressive behavior
- School disciplinary actions
Notably, Badges for Baseball participants improved at a significantly faster rate than their counterparts on reports of personal values, including personal commitments to be ethical, honest, hard-working, and responsible.
We remain committed to evaluating our efforts, making refinements, and sharing what works with the youth development community.
Building Stronger Communities Together
More than 12,300 people in nine cities benefited from the Team8 Tour, in partnership with UnitedHealthcare and CBS EcoMedia.
Among many notable achievements, our volunteer teams:
- Supported 12 high schools/community organizations.
- Built or renovated 14,000+ square feet of fitness, outdoor, and nutrition spaces.
- Distributed over 6,700 pieces of sporting equipment & athletic gear.
- 1,500 meals and take-home kits, and 8,000 pantry and supply items were distributed to students lacking health & nutrition resources.
- Impacted 12,300 students, families, volunteers, teachers, and coaches.