If you’re like me, most days consist of moving from project to project and meeting to meeting, often finishing the day wondering just where it had gone. If you’re in the youth development profession where meetings are combined with the sometimes chaotic yet fun loving nature of hundreds of kids then your days are even more of a blur. Along with the daily to do lists, I’d like to offer an alternative, one that can be accomplished each day, hopefully bringing about a different, simpler sense of fulfillment.
- Do one thing to increase your knowledge of your industry (read something, talk to a mentor)
- Check in on an old colleague
- Review your career goals – what have you done today to make yourself better?
- Review your personal goals – what have you done today to be a better person?
- Take a minute to appreciate just how far you’ve come professionally and personally
It’s easy to get lost in the frantic nature of our jobs but we should never lose sight of goals, and more importantly, just how far we’ve come. Here’s to appreciating the journey, not just the destination.