While potato chips, donuts, and cookies are delicious snacks many of us love to eat, indulging in too many of these tasty treats does not make for a balanced diet. Have you ever substituted some of your favorite sugary or salty snacks with a more nutritious alternative? Our Healthy Choices, Healthy Children – Nutrition Edition explains the benefits of healthy eating and includes yummy snack recipes you can try at home! This week, try substituting a “junk food” snack with one of our simple, healthy recipes below, and see how eating healthy can also be delicious!
*Each recipe yields one snack portion*
BITE-SIZED TURKEY WRAPS
•8” wheat tortilla
•2 oz. of turkey breast
•1 tablespoon of whipped cream cheese, mustard, or light ranch dressing
1. Place your wrap on a cutting board.
2. Spread cream cheese, dressing, or mustard on the wrap and then add turkey.
3. Roll the stuffed wrap tightly.
4. Cut the rolled wrap into bite-sized pieces and your snack is ready to eat!
•1 clear, plastic cup
•1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt or vanilla pudding
•Fresh fruit, sliced (bananas, strawberries, apples, or raisins)
•Graham crackers, crumbled
1. Fill plastic cup halfway with yogurt or pudding.
2. Fill the rest of the way with sliced fruit. Mix.
3. Crumble graham crackers in a sealable baggie. Sprinkle onto parfait and indulge!