As we start the winter sports season, some of you might be looking for some team building activities—although they are great to use any time! Here’s one from our Playbook for Coaching Uncommon Athletes:
- Group size: 4 - 50
- Length of Activity: 5 – 20 minutes
- Goal: To increase social comfort and work on communication skills
- Equipment Needed: None, but it may be a good idea it may be a good idea to play on a softer surface if available
- How to Play:
- Have the group stand in a circle, shoulder to shoulder.
- Ask everyone to turn to the right and put their hands on the shoulders of the person in front of them.
- Tell the group that at the count of 1-2-3, everyone will sit on the knees/lap of the person behind him or her. If this is done too quickly, group members will fall over, so the group will need to work together to communicate.
- Count 1-2-3.
- Keep trying until you can do this without anyone in the group falling over.
And here’s what it looks like when done successfully, as demonstrated by the Discovery Canyon High School Girls’ Basketball Team:
DCC GBB team meeting and bonding! PRICE #uncommonathlete pic.twitter.com/h743DQIFAC— DCC Girls Basketball (@DccGbb) November 15, 2015
- To learn more about the Uncommon Athlete program, please visit www.uncommonathlete.org.