The Fitness Movements Play of the Day first introduced you to the building blocks of strength training, inspired by the Healthy Choices, Healthy Children—Fitness Edition. Today you will learn how to properly perform the most important Fitness Movement -- the plank -- as it is a key component of every subsequent movement and exercise you will learn. Core strength is one of the building blocks of successful strength training and exercise, and this Ripken Playbook Play of the Day will give you the tools to start feeling fit and healthy from home!
- Healthy Choices, Healthy Children—Fitness Edition (Signing-up is quick, easy, and free!)
- Plank Movements Worksheet
- Pen or pencil
How-To Perform a Plank
- Place your forearms flat to the ground, parallel to your body. Your forearms should be shoulder-width apart, elbows underneath your shoulders.
- From this position, lift your body from the ground so all your weight rests on your forearms and toes.
- HINT: Think of your body as one, straight line -- from your head to your shoulders, to your hips and your ankles.
- Tighten your core, glutes, and hamstrings as you hold this position for 30-60 seconds.
Congratulations, you have performed the most important Fitness Movement!
- Now, using the Plank Movements Worksheet, brainstorm exercises which involve a plank and at least one of the other five remaining Fitness Movements.
- Need a hint? Check out the Movement Index of our Healthy Choices, Healthy Children – Fitness Edition for exercises ideas!
- Try incorporating these new exercises into your at-home fitness routine! Grab a parent or friend and share what you’ve learned!