Today’s Fitness Play of the Day from the Ripken Playbook is an entire workout focusing on building cardiovascular endurance, core strength, and flexibility. These exercises can be performed at home and require no equipment.
Perform each warm-up exercise once for 30-seconds. (Reference the “Movement Index” in our Healthy Choices, Healthy Children – Fitness edition for these exercises.)
- Standing Toe Reaches
- Hip Flexor Reaches
- Chest Openers
Perform three rounds of each exercise. Perform each exercise for 45-seconds.
- Jumping Jacks
- Begin with your feet together and arms at your sides. Jump so your feet are wider than shoulder width, and then return to the starting position. Simultaneously, reach your hands overhead and then return to the starting position. Continue for 45-seconds.
- Sand Bag Drag (You need a household item, i.e. bag of rice)
- Begin in a high plank position. Keep your feet wide and place your household item to one side beneath your core. Using your arm opposite the item, reach beneath your body and grab the item. Slowly pull the item over to the opposite side. Try not to shift your hips. Repeat on other side of body. Continue for 45-seconds total.
- High Knees
- Begin standing upright with your feet, shoulder width apart. Bring one knee up to hip height and back down. Alternate this movement with both legs. Maintaining correct form, try speeding up your tempo! Continue for 45-seconds.
- Lateral Hip Circles With a Reach
- Begin standing with your feet shoulder width apart. Bring one knee up to hip height and then rotate your hip, creating a circle with that knee. Next on that same side, step laterally into a squat until you feel a slight stretch in your opposite inner thigh. Return to the starting position and repeat with the opposite leg. Continue for 45-seconds total.
Bonus Challenge: Lateral Shuffle
- How many times can you touch each side in 30-seconds?
- Mark two points about 6 feet apart. Start at one point. Position yourself in a mini-squat with your feet shoulder width apart. While in this position, take quick, lateral steps toward the opposite point. Continue this back and forth for 45-seconds.
Perform each cool-down exercise once for 30-seconds. (Reference the “Movement Index” in our Healthy Choices, Healthy Children – Fitness edition for these exercises.)
- Seated Hamstring Stretch
- Seated Side Reaches (30-seconds each leg)
- Kneeling Hip Flexor (30-seconds each leg)
- Child’s Pose
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and share with us your best Lateral Shuffle Challenge record!