Sometimes instead of cooking a meal at home, you may like to eat out at a restaurant or order food to be delivered. Many times it may seem that restaurants have limited options making it appear difficult to eat healthily. But actually, many restaurants do offer healthy options and alternatives. Today’s Nutrition Play of the Day from the Ripken Playbook will help you more easily identify healthy options on a restaurant menu so you can continue your healthy eating anywhere!
- Spare take-out menus
- Computer (optional if you do not have paper menus)
- Gather spare take-out menus you find in your house from your favorite restaurants (if you do not have any menus, look online for the restaurants' menus).
- Cut out or copy healthy menu items you notice. Glue or write these options on your paper to create a healthy menu. Between the appetizers, main course, and dessert, what healthy items do you see?
- Try competing against a friend or sibling to see who can create the tastiest healthy menu! Want an extra challenge? Try seeing if any meals on your healthy menu follow the My Plate recommendations.
- Were you surprised by the amount of healthy options offered by your favorite restaurants? Will you try any of these options next time you order food from a restaurant?
Share your favorite healthy, takeout meals with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!