Today’s Fitness Play of the Day from the Ripken Playbook is the Pop Quiz Relay! We are going to test your knowledge of the foundational fitness movements while working on your reaction time and cardiovascular strength!
- Access to Healthy Choices, Healthy Children -- Fitness edition (Reference Chapter 2 and/or Movement Index)
- Two items to mark your starting and stopping point (i.e. cones, balls, cups, etc.)
Pop Quiz Relay
- Mark a starting point and stopping point about 10-20 paces apart, depending available space.
- Begin at the starting point. If you have a friend or family member available to help, have them stand at the stopping point to read you the questions. If not, just keep the questions close by so you can access them.
- Run back and forth between the starting point and the stopping point six times. Each time you reach the stopping point, you must correctly answer one of the Foundational Movement questions before being allowed to return to the starting point. You will repeat this relay until all six questions are answered correctly.
Foundational Movement Fitness Questions
Can you name one of the following?
- Plank exercise
- Push exercise
- Pull exercise
- Squat exercise
- Exercise involving a rotation
- Exercise involving a hinge movement
*Reference the Healthy Choices, Healthy Children -- Fitness Edition Chapter 2 or the Movement Index for correct answers
Challenge: Try the Pop Quiz Relay following one of these challenges!
- Run forward, backpedal back
- Side shuffle up and back
- Broad jump up and back
- How many correct answers can you complete in 30-seconds? Or in 1-minute?
For more from the Ripken Playbook, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!